If you aren’t familiar with the term “quick bread,” it simply means bread that isn’t made with yeast. It’s quick in that there is no rise time for the yeast to do its thing. Probably the quick bread that I bake most often is banana bread, but this chocolate chip quick bread is a close second. I think of this as more of a dessert or late afternoon snack, but I won’t tell if you eat a slice for breakfast.
I love this alongside a big mug of coffee or tea. I prefer chocolate chip quick bread warm, but it’s pretty darn good when served cold as well. I don’t tend to put anything on it, but if you want to spread some butter or peanut butter over the top before devouring, that’s OK too.
The ingredients are pretty much all pantry staples and things you likely already have, similar to chocolate chip cookies.
As with most quick breads (again, like banana bread) the bake time can vary a little. If you like a crispy crust with done center crumb (not dry, but springy and no doughy parts), then you will likely want to bake for an hour. That’s what I did with this particular loaf you see pictured. However, if you like your quick bread just a little bit undercooked, like I do sometimes, then stick to more like 55 minutes or maybe even a little less. See recipe notes below.
I love to use chocolate chunks or chips in this recipe—either is great but go dark chocolate if you can! And I also love a big sprinkle of flaky sea salt on top but it’s totally optional as well.
So if you’re in the mood for a dessert bread but don’t have any bananas for banana bread, then I highly recommend you give this chocolate chip quick bread a try. Happy baking! xo. Emma
Chocolate Chip Quick Bread
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package approx 10 ounces chocolate chips or chunks
- big sprinkle of flaky sea salt for the top optional
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars. Stir in the eggs and vanilla extract, then stir in the yogurt and milk until just combined. Add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until a batter forms (like cake batter) then stir in 3/4 of the total chocolate chips.
- Spoon into a prepared baking loaf pan. You can grease the pan well or line with parchment paper. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top along with the sea salt if using.
- Bake at 350°F for 55-60 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing.
Credits // Author and Photography: Emma Chapman. Photos edited with A Color Story Desktop.
Original source: https://abeautifulmess.com/2020/05/chocolate-chip-quick-bread.html